Monday, January 26, 2009

Colds, Colds, Colds

Sorry that we haven't posted any pictures in a while but, trust me, you wouldn't want to see any from the past week and a half anyway. It's been nothing but runny noses, sneezes, coughs and fevers around here. First, (see previous post) Jake had his terrible cold and had to miss school last Tuesday. Then we had to take Andrew to the doctor because he had stuff coming out of his eye and had diarrhea that wouldn't stop (so much fun for Mommy :( ). We discovered from the doctor that he, in fact, had a small ear infection even though he didn't seem that fussy and wasn't showing any other signs. The doctor gave us some antibiotics for him which I thought would clear it right up and for about a week or so it seemed to be working. By Saturday, just as Jacob was starting to feel better, Andrew started to have a really bad cough and runny nose.

Let me just say that Saturday night was probably one of the worst nights that I've had since I became a mom. Andrew was first up at 11:00 (right after I went to bed) and felt a little warm. He just looked miserable and couldn't seem to fall back to sleep. I finally got him back to sleep a couple of hours later by letting him fall asleep next to me in the spare bed and, of course, just as he fell asleep, I hear crying from Jacob's room. Josh had taken some Nyquil that night so he was dead to the world and sawing logs in our bedroom (which was why I was in the spare bedroom). I ran in and shoved him about 10 times until he woke up (in a complete fog) and I told him to go sleep with Andrew until I got Jake back to bed. Well, that only took about 2 hours and we played musical beds the entire time. First, I tried to calm him down in his room but that didn't work, then we moved into our bed and he just couldn't settle down. We finally moved back into his room and got in his twin bed together. The entire time I was trying to calm Jake down I was paranoid that Josh, being drugged up with Nyquil, would forget that Andrew was laying next to him and roll over on him. Everytime I told Jake that I was just going to run in and check on Daddy and Andrew, he started screaming and wouldn't let me out of his sight. At around 3 am, Jake finally drifted back to sleep so I went back into the spare bedroom to move Josh out of there and sleep with Andrew. All was good for another hour and half when Andrew woke up at his usually 5 am. Having only slept for about 2 hours total, I again woke Josh and told him to take Andrew downstairs for his bottle so I could get a little bit more sleep, which he kindly did (still in a bit of a Nyquil daze).

Andrew was so miserable all day Sunday. He had a terrible cough, runny nose and was running a pretty high fever. My usual happy, giggly baby was no where to be found. His fever got to a high of 103.6 so we called the Children's Hospital nurses line and they told us if it didn't go down with Tylenol to take him to the ER or, otherwise, just call his doctor first thing in the morning. Luckily, his fever went down some and he slept a little bit better than he did the night before. We took him to the doctor today and, sure enough, he has an ear infection in the other ear. The antibiotics took care of the left ear but obviously wasn't enough for the other ear. The doctor gave us a stronger antibiotic so, hopefully, Andrew will be back to his old, happy, giggly self in a couple of days.

Long story short, it was not a fun weekend at the McKey house. Spring cannot get here fast enough!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Erica said...

Oh my gosh, I SO feel for you!! These ear infections!! We're headed to the Doc this afternoon for Julia! What a night you had! And to think that everyone says we will someday miss these days?!?! Seriously!?!