Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Andrew's Surgery


On Monday, Andrew had outpatient surgery at Children's Hospital in St. Louis to remove a cyst that was growing along his eyebrow. The cyst had been getting bigger and bigger since he was born and the pediatric plastic surgeon thought that he was old enough now to have it removed. Josh and I had to be at Children's at 6:30 am Monday morning and prior to the surgery Andrew couldn't have any liquids or solids--needless to say, it was a long drive over there with a little boy who didn't understand why he couldn't have his morning bottle!!

While Andrew didn't know what the heck was about to happen to him, his Mommy was a nervous wreck. I got a few tears in my eyes as soon as the doctors came in and started telling me how the surgery would go--especially the part about how they would have to put a little IV in his hand and put him under for the whole thing--he's just too little for all of that. I again cried as they took him out of my arms to go to the operating room--I had faith that he would be fine and that the doctors knew what they were doing, I was just upset that I couldn't be in there to comfort him. The surgery lasted an hour and, luckily, Josh and Mimi were there to keep my mind off of what they were doing to my baby. When Andrew finally came out he was still sleepy from the anestesia and crying this sad little cry--mainly because he was starving. They let us give his some formula right away and, after about 3 or 4 ounces he fell asleep in my arms for about an hour. The nurse mentioned that usually after they sleep a little they wake up and act pretty much like themselves again. Sure enough, when he woke up he sat up and gave us all a big smile--there he was, my happy little man!! He seems to have recovered pretty quickly--he just has a little scar where the incision was with a little bandage over it and has been in a great mood since we got home from the hospital. I am just so thankful that the surgery is behind us and that Andrew is healthy and doing great.

Before the surgery--notice the cyst above his left eye.

Mommy and Andrew reading before big surgery.

Big boy in his gown after surgery--back to Mr. Happy!

2 comments:

Linkis Family Love said...

Thank God for the successful surgery-I have been in that boat quite a few times; and it is very nerve wracking even admist great faith in the Lord!

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy. :( Glad he rebounded quickly from the surgery. He and Jacob are such cuties.

AAB