Monday, December 15, 2008

Food Favorites from Childhood

Since this is the season of eating, I was reminiscing recently about two of my favorites as a child that I thought were no longer available. You may remember them - Hostess Chocodiles and Green Goddess Salad Dressing. Both rocked, but were discontinued at some point - at least in terms of mass production. However, I did find a website that still produces and sells Chocodiles (http://www.freshchocodiles.com/) and a store in Vermont that still sells the original Green Goddess Salad Dressing (http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/browse/Home/Food-Candy/Food/Jams-Condiments/Green-Goddess-Dressing/D/30100/P/1:100:1020:10270:100680/I/f09132?evar3=SEARCH).

Apparently, Kraft is still making Green Goddess in very limited quantities and only making it available to certain specialty stores. You can get two bottles for 14.99 at the above mentioned website. As a kid, my brother and I used to devour the Green Goddess. Our favorite salad dressing by far! Then there is the Chocodile, like none other. For those that don't know, it is basically a twinkie covered in chocolate. Alas, "they" still make those too! Although the maker of Hostess snack cakes, Interstate Brands, no longer makes or sells Chocodiles, the website mentioned above apparently still makes them. Still not sure if it is the original recipe or a knock-off. However, the website seems legit and definitely worth a try! Although I did not get them very often as a kid, I still remember them as being very delightful.

1 comment:

Erica said...

We NEVER visited the grandparents without devouring some of those crocodiles! I swear she gave me a box just a few years back...wonder how long that had been in the deep freezer?! YIKES! =)