Saturday, September 27, 2008

Back from the Windy City

I just got back from my trip to Chicago to see Oprah and I am completely exhausted but I had a great time with my mom and sisters. My wonderful husband got me the tickets for our anniversary (6 years on Sept. 28th). I don't know how he got them but I'm so glad he did because it was so much fun. On Thursday, we got to see "Miracle at St. Anna" since it was going to be part of the show on Friday. I was a little skeptical going into the movie because when I saw the previews on tv it didn't look that appealing to me --it looked like just another war movie to me. However, I was very impressed with the movie overall--it had a good story line that kept me interested. Plus, we got free popcorn and soda so I couldn't complain.

On Friday, the day of the taping, we were up at 4:00 am (Meg was up at 3:30 am) to get ready because we needed to be there by 7:00 and, since we were told that seating at the show was first-come, first serve, we wanted to get there even earlier. Well, obviously, the first-come, first-serve thing is not the case because right before they started seating people they rattled off several names whose parties got to be seated first because they knew someone who worked for Oprah. Needless to say, we were not at the front but at least we all got to sit together.

We took the Amtrak to and from Chicago and, being a first-timer on Amtrak, I was very pleased with the experience. It was so much better than driving because we were able to sit in the lounge car and talk (and snack) the entire trip there. And, with the cost of gas what it is right now, it was actually pretty comparable cost-wise. The best part about taking the train is that Jacob was so excited that "Mommy was riding on Big Thomas!" We got Jake a Thomas the Train video a couple of weeks ago and, since then, he has been obsessed with Thomas. Plus, he always plays with Thomas stuff at Ryan Harriss' house. Anyway, Josh decided to bring the boys to pick me at the Amtrak station so Jacob could see "Big Thomas." He was so excited when I stepped off the train--he just kept saying "Mommy ride on Big Thomas!" All night he talked about "Big Thomas" and how the train went "choo, choo" --so cute. I'm so glad to be back with my boys!!

Since the security guard at Harpo was pretty strict about the cameras, I didn't get many pics. I'll try to post some pics as soon as I get them from my mom. Thanks again, Josh--you're the best hubby ever!!

No comments: