Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My First 5K

My older sister Tobey is a teacher at Collinsville Middle School and a couple of Saturdays ago they held a 5K run/walk to benefit the local food pantry. She convinced all of us to participate in it (she didn't actually have to do a lot of convincing since it was for a good cause). My younger sister Megan and I decided earlier that week that we would try to run the 5k rather than walk it. Now for some people running a 5K (or 3.2 miles) is no big deal. For others like myself, who are not avid runners, it IS a big deal.

I will admit that I have been doing some running on the treadmill that Josh got me for Christmas (a wonderful gift from my wonderful hubby) but I was still a bit nervous that I wouldn't be able to run the entire 3.2 miles without any stops--when I'm running at home in the basement I usually have to make several stops to get a sippy cup for one of the boys or break up little disagreements over the same toy or keep Mr. Andrew from climbing up the stairs, etc. Plus, this run involved several good sized hills which I'm not used to running (my treadmill is generally set on the lowest incline). Thankfully, we had an absolutely beautiful, sunny morning--I think it actually got up into the 80's later that day (thankfully not while we were running.)

Anyway, long story short, Meg and I ran the entire 5K without any stops!!! The first mile went pretty quick but the second mile nearly killed me--all hills. By the time we reached the 3rd mile we were getting the hang of it and knew that the finish line was near. It was great that I had Meg to run with because we kinda pushed each other; without her I might not had made it!! While Meg and I were running the course, Josh pushed Andrew and Jake in the jogging stroller and walked the race with Momo, Papa, Aunt Tobey and Chloe. The boys had made it through about 2 1/2 miles when Jake saw a huge playground at the park and forced Daddy to make a pitstop.

It was a great way to spend a Saturday morning with family and was all for a good cause. I can't wait to run the next one!!
Meg and I after the race--we made it (and actually weren't the last ones)!!
Jake and Andrew enjoying a snack in the jogging stroller.
Jake playing on the playground after the race--"hi everyone!"
Andrew and Papa Dane enjoying the beautiful day.

3 comments:

Erica said...

proud of you, girl! what a feat!!!

Anonymous said...

You Go Girl!

Vetter Family said...

Oh my gosh! You amaze me and look great doing it!